| Observatory |
The January 2018
2018, A NEW YEAR –
TIME TO STEP UP AND HELP YOUR CENTRE
RASC OC is a volunteer organization and like all volunteer organizations requires
member participation to continue to function.
Please make 2018 a year that you will assist your Centre. Step up and help.
It could be by simply offering to bring cookies to the next meeting!
Make a promise to yourself – “This year, I will do at least one of the following”:
- Help with Public Outreach (contact your local Outreach Coordinator)
- Make a monthly meeting presentation (could be a short 10-minute talk, or
a 30 to 45-minute presentation)
- Rejuvenate the Newsletter FOCUS
- Join the Light Pollution Abatement Committee for your city (presently John
Kerr IS the Committee)
- Come out to a Friday Public Observing Night at the Okanagan Observatory
- Start your own Zenfolio on the RASC OC website
- Attend a monthly meeting outside of your local city
- Bring the cookies to a monthly meeting
- _________________________ (fill in the blank)
There is no better time to start than now. January 1st is the time for New Year’s
resolutions! Make 2018 count.
David Hawkins, RASC-OC President 2018
Penticton: Thursday January 4, 2018
- Lecture Theatre, Okanagan College Penticton Campus
Special Guest Speaker: Sean Dougherty
“Canada’s Telescopes and ALMA –
Atacama Large subMillimeter Array”
with Anita and John Carpenter
1. 2018 RASC CALENDARS – only 11 remaining: $20. Available at the January
Monthly Member Meetings. Purchases help to support your RASC OC.
2. Eclipse 2017 T-shirts: ONLY available to RASC OC Members.
Anita and John have joined up with astrophotograher and RASC OC member
Shawn Berglund to create a T-shirt to remember the 2017 Total Solar Eclipse.
The items were presented at the AGM on November 7, 2017. Orders will
continue to be taken at this month’s member meetings.
_ Short-sleeve, long-sleeve, men, women and kids.
_ Colours: black, white, grey
_ Cost: $30 for long sleeve; $25 for short-sleeve.
Great work Anita and John. Thank you to Shawn for allowing our merchandise
managers to use your outstanding images.
– Position remains in LIMBO! (so, jump at it before it is gone)
There is a need for a volunteer (or group of volunteers) to take over the FOCUS
newsletter – or perhaps something similar. We are open to new ideas. It could be
a monthly or quarterly newsletter. Give it a thought.
If you are involved in any RASC related activity that you would like other members
to be aware of then please email me, so I can let our members know. Of course,
you can also let others know through AstroOkanagan.
UPCOMING RASC-OC MONTHLY MEMBER MEETINGS:
Kelowna: Tuesday January 2, 2017
- 7:30pm. Okanagan College KLO Campus, Room C-368
- Claude Lapointe “First in Space – The Story of Laika”
- Main: Colleen O’Hare “The Incredible 5cm Universe” Size
and Scale of the Cosmos in Just 4 Steps.
Penticton: Thursday January 4, 2017
- 7:15pm. Okanagan College Penticton Campus
- Sean Dougherty “Canada’s Telescopes and ALMA”
Vernon: Wednesday January 31, 2017
- Heritage Hall, Okanagan Science Centre, Vernon
- 6:30pm. Novice Pre-Meeting: TBA
- 7:15pm. TBA
Please see the RASC-OC website for meeting updates and further details.
The Centre website was recently updated with a view to providing everything you
ever wanted to know about RASC-OC, as well as Outreach and many other club
activities. The “What's Up” page provides heads up notes of what is in the sky
nights. The “About Us” page links to the club Library and other services.
PICTURE OF THE MONTH
– JANUARY 2018 with Mark Force and Sharon Carter
Congratulations to Debra Ceravolo on her ‘Streaky Aurora’ which is our
January Picture of the Month!
MONTHLY OBSERVING CHALLENGE
– by Jim Kanester
These challenges give some direction to our observing and a good reason to get
outside to look at the night sky, either alone or with friends and family or your
pet goat if you have one.
Below is the link to the January 2018 Challenges:
This month, Jim has selected M35 and NGC 7023.
The observatory webpage is www.okanaganobservatory.ca
Friday public viewings nights will restart in the Spring.
RASC-OC Members may use the observatory site at any time they choose.
However, members must advise one of the security team before proceeding to
the observatory so the alarms can be turned off in advance.
MEMBER TELESCOPE RENTAL PROGRAM
- Guy Mackie
Your Okanagan Centre has many telescopes and other accessories that are
available for members to rent at very reasonable rates.
Dobsonian reflectors are the favorite and members have access to 6”, 8” and 10”
Dobsonian telescopes renting from $10 a month to $10 a week depending on
Other optical observation equipment that are available for you to try out include:
Personal Solar Telescope, 6” Skywatcher Refractor, 8” SCT, Astroscan 4” widefield
reflector, Meade ETX 60. Members have more telescopes, observing aids,
fittings, diagonals and other eyepieces that they can borrow for a test run.
Observing equipment is rent-free for public outreach events.
If you would like to borrow a scope, or learn more about the equipment resources
you can access, contact Guy Mackie email@example.com or 250-861-3074
ASTRO OKANAGAN E-MAIL DISCUSSION GROUP
Another great reason to join in!
The Google Discussion Group is a real-time link between members of our RASCOC
meeting groups. A message might give you a heads-up on a new celestial
phenomenon, an alert about an Outreach event you could take part in or other
Contact: Guy Mackie firstname.lastname@example.org
PRESIDENT’S MESSAGE CONTACT:
David Hawkins email@example.com